Thursday, November 8, 2007

Introductory Post for The Old Country Kitchen

I've been involved in Catholic blogging now for two years and have found that it can be an excellent archiving system, while at the same time permitting a way to share things with others.

What better thing to share than home-cooked recipes from a family like mine, where cooking goes way back.

Why should I type these out and store them on my computer as opposed to putting them in the public domain where you can try them, and perhaps innovate.

One way I like to innovate is to take older recipes that are very high in fat, and try to make them as tasty with less fat and better types of fat. Since, as Emeril Lagasse says, pork fat rules, there will be some recipes we wouldn't dare tamper with. These will be carry a label of "Heart-Attack Special". In other words, it would not be wise to eat these on a regular basis, but it's silly to not enjoy them during special occasions or holidays.

Another way I now like to innovate is to find diabetic freindly ways to make the older recipes since I have now also taken on this baton. However, here too, sometimes you just can't mess with a good, old country recipe. And, just because I can't have it, doesn't mean I won't make it for the family.

What is meant by old country? Well, Mom is of Croatian and Polish descent, and I'm told there is some German on her mother's side. Her Father was born in Croatia back in the early 1900's and he brought with him, the family BBQ. With the purchase of my first ever, cheap, lump hardwood coal smoker, I'm finding simple ways to get that great wood-smoked flavor into some of that old country meat, like Lamb.

I can't post often as I am too busy, but I'm going to try to begin archiving my family recipes and innovations here. I hope you enjoy them.

One word of warning: If you are looking for quick and easy, there will probably be fewer of those, than the time consumming, good wholesome cooking - things you can do while you are home for the day and can babysit the pot or kettle.

My cooking words of wisdom for today: You can't cook without the onion or the garlic because it makes your eyes water or because it stinks. If you've ever tried stuffed cabbage, you know it makes the house smell like that of a dirty baby diaper, but tastes, oh, so good!

No comments: